Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Nappy Hair and Afrocentrism

There are well over 12 definitions of the word "nappy", according to the American Heritage Dictionary. When referring to hair, the word nappy means 1. Offensively Tightly curled or coiled hair... hmmm...now I really didn't need a dictionary to explain to me, the feelings and stories that have been behind the word "nappy". Most women of African descent have had some story with the word nappy, whether it be them calling someone else's hair nappy or having their hair called nappy. And yes...it was never an endearing term within the African-American community. What I want to know is, who claims that it is OFFENSIVE? How can one's hair be offensive? Why did I write this blog? Well for a couple of reasons. First, the other day, I recently went to the African Hair Braiding spot and I got kinky twists. Now true, I was in a rush when I went and I washed my hair without completely combing my hair out....but when the stylist who was from West Africa said, "the problem is, your hair is nappy"..I thought, wtf? I actually don't have coarse hair to begin with, but that wasn't the point..the point was that, that word has always been associated with being an offensive term, I don't care how you try to spin it..and especially in America, has been associated with many African offensive hair jokes.

Then I started to think about some of the images that I have seen from some of the African people that I have come across lately and research that I've engaged in. I noticed how when African-Americans call themselves being "Afrocentic", they often show this pride through hairstyles..i.e. Afro's, locs, twists, cornrows, braids, etc..however, lately, I have come across Africans who live in America and I've noticed that many are using skin bleaching cream, straight hair weaves, perms and any other style that is everything but natural. When I went to Africa, I was disappointed to hear Africans use the word "nigga" in such access..I said damn, globalization is clearly having a negative effect in the Afrikan community. African-Americans are trying to be like Africans, thinking they are at paying homage to their roots by certain hairstyles at times, and many Africans are trying to assimilate in the European culture, by lightening their skin and straightening their hair. Does hair define who you are? NO. However, when it gets to the point where slavery ideologies are transcending among our beloved Africa...where we had strong civilizations with Kings and Queens, and both Africans and African-Americans begin to buy into some of the Eurocentric ideologies, I think what next....I begin to get scared....really scared.

No comments: